Saturday, March 7, 2009

Wait begins again

On March 6, 2009, the escrow process complete, I received the keys to my house!

The ten year old house is a three bedroom, two bath with a small backyard, living room/family room, garage and a room that I intend to use as a square dance floor.

While it's just a typical suburban tract home, it's mine and I can finally park in the garage again!

I ordered cable Internet and met the installer that same day, it was installed and up and running in minutes and I had the fastest home connection I have ever had. And I've had most all of the technologies over time, modem dial up, ISDN, DSL, Cellular Wireless and now Cable.

I had previously committed to driving over 250 miles that day with my friend Rebecca that day so that she could get hair transplants the next day and then return to my apartment after another 250 mile drive to care for her during her initial recovery until she returned to work on Monday.

But that is what friends do. So with the house keys in my pocket and a fast Internet connection sitting idle the moving process would just have to wait. ;)

She felt badly for taking me away from my new house, but I reassured her and told her I would much rather be with and help a friend, that the house was just a thing. It had waited this long, a couple more days would not make any difference.

After the drive, we checked into a hotel for the night and then went out to dinner and a movie. Dinner was at a fresh mex type place. As the staff prepared the burritos, if a patron answered yes to guacamole, the whole staff would shout out GUACAMOOOLLE! Kind of corny, but memorable. We then went to see Watchmen on opening day as an early birthday celebration for Becca. When we got back to the room, I gave her a card and a dark brown stuffed bear that she named Sophie.

The next day after a big breakfast, we headed over to the treatment center for her procedure. The staff was very professional, chatty and cheerful and took good care of her. Since we were the only ones in the office, I had full run of the suite. I initially myself up in the waiting room with my book and computer, but it wasn't long before my curiosity got the best of me and I went to check on her. The doctor asked if I was ok with seeing the blood and I assured him that I would be just fine. I'm one of those people that always watches and never looks away.

Once the donor site had been harvested and while the target sites were being prepared, I sat with her and kept her company. At one point, she got very emotional and needed to take a break. The mental anguish she has gone through in trying to hide the widows peaks hit her hard and knowing that there was finally something being done about it hit home.

After a few minutes and some reassurance, the the staff proceeded with the transplants.

My genetics are such that hair loss is not something that I have had to deal with. I have a full head of hair and no indication that balding is likely. One area of transition that I did not have to deal with other than just letting it grow out naturally!

It felt really good being there for a good friend on her birthday and being able to help her get through the procedure.

No comments: