Sunday, April 5, 2009

Traveling to DC Diamond Circulate

Now that all of the work of moving and setting up my new house is done, it's time to get on with living life.

I merely existed for several years. While I took joy in the achievements my daughter accomplished I was not really doing much for myself.

Since 2005, I've been very active in square dancing including going to the International Association of Gay and Lesbian Square Dance Clubs (IAGSDC) annual conventions.

Going out to the local club nights and interacting with gay and lesbian dancers was my primary means of gaining experience and socializing with "normal" people. Normal in that they did not have gender identity issues, but were very accepting because of their own adaptation to their sexual orientation. As a result, I was able to practice my presentation. The photographs and differences in social interaction from when I first joined them until today shows a marked improvement, to the point that I was just another woman without regard to being in the "safe" environment of square dancers or out shopping, dining, flying and just living life in mainstream America.

Flying to Washington D.C. alone this time was the first time that I traveled by air (except for returning home ten days post op) with my identity and anatomy in sync. While I had flown with my old id and also my new id, there had always been some concern with being "discovered". Fortunately, I never did have any problems, but the worry was there.

This time however, there was no cause for concern. As a result, I was able to sit back, relax and just enjoy the trip.

No comments: