Prior to surgery, I had envisioned ALL of the things I would be able to get done while recovering at home for over three full weeks
But for the first three to four weeks of recovery, I just didn't have the energy to do more than feed myself, do my required personal maintenance, get on the computer and watch television. All of those little projects that I had in the queue just had to wait.
I was finally starting to get into the swing of being able to work on those projects as long as I rested frequently by about New Years day, almost a month after surgery.
Once my "fuel tank" of energy has run out, there just isn't any reserve. Prior to surgery, my typical day started at 5am and ended around midnight. Days were spent working or playing and at least five to six evenings a week were spent out dancing, hanging out with friends or going to various social or support activities. Now a nap is a necessity and going to bed early is much more typical. When I'm done for the day, I'm OUT.
I was in reasonably good shape when it came time for surgery, certainly much better than I had been in 2005 prior to my Liposarcoma surgery to a remove a tumor from my thigh. And all in all, my recovery was better as well. I was out of it for almost ten weeks at that time!
My boss has been fantastic throughtout my transition. The timing of my surgery date right after Thanksgiving and my recovery during the Christmas holiday meant that I only had to use six vacation days. The rest was holidays or paid sick leave.
I had already established that working at home via Remote Desktop or on my laptop was feasible and had been doing that fairly regularly for the last couple of years. So it wasn't much of a stretch for him to allow me to ease back into work by coming in to the office for four hours in the morning and then working from home the rest of the day. This also greatly simplified my daily post surgery maintenance.
It has been REALLY wonderful to be able to focus on my work at hand and not spend every other thought on addressing my GID. I was finally just me and dealing with day to day, mid range and long term issues like many other women have done forever.
Finally in alignment
No comments:
Post a Comment