So when I first told her my intentions to transition in 2007, she was there for me yet again. After asking me what name she should call me, she immediately offered to change the name listed on my medical records. She also asked when I wanted to start hormone replacement therapy. I asked her to hold off on the name change until it was changed legally and changed on my insurance but she was welcome to address me with my new name and pronouns right away. She has done so without a single slip ever since.
Since it was a routine physical, I hadn't really planned on telling her that day, but after a few sessions with my therapist recently, the decision had already been made by me. The timing just seemed right. As a result, I walked out of her exam room with my first prescription for Vivelle DOT, an estrogen transdermal patch. The physical changes had finally begun!
Over a year later, I was back in her office again and able to show her the results of my surgeries 42 days after the fact. She was quite impressed with the results and how quickly it was healing!
She had told me previously that she had treated several trans patients, but I was the first that had followed it all the way through surgery.
A nice hug and I was on my way back to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment