Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another update from Mark

Hey Y'all,

She's Back!!!  When I got here this morning, she had just finished eating breakfast, every bit of it!  Soooooo, our girl has her appetite back.  She ate a full lunch and a full dinner.  For dinner, the burger from the kitchen, as well as the fries, left a little to be desired.  So, instead, I ran out and got her a Sonic Burger and, get this, TATER TOTS!   Seriously, how can you not want tater tots.  A food from the goddesses that was put here on earth to make us all smile and dance in the streets with glee and excitement.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, out of the corner of my eye, when she thought I wasn't looking, I swear I saw Jennifer dancing in her bed as she was eating them - look out Catherine Zeta Jones (from Chicago the movie)!!!!   :-)

Today she was her great wonderful self that we all love so much.  She was completely alert and talkative (when she could get a word in edgewise beyond my chatty self), watched TV, and was on her computer most of the day.  Dr. Bowers stopped by this morning and said she was doing great and again said how wonderfully well her surgery went yesterday.  I asked Dr. Bowers when she thought Jennifer would be able to leave the hospital and she said Saturday.  So, should all go well, she will probably check into the Bed and Breakfast on Saturday for a few more days of easy going recovery.

I saw and heard Jennifer laugh and giggle today which was an extremely welcome change to yesterday's post surgery fog.  Jennifer sent herself a box of stuff she would need and I retrieved that for her because it was a day late.  In it was her wonderfully cuddly teddy bear (among other things) - hey, I thought I was her teddy bear.  She's all comfy in her bed, hugging her teddy bear, taking in the fantastic flower smell, and chill'n out and recuperating.  She called her mom and her daughter today too.

Around dinner time tonight, just before I left for Sonic  Burger, Jennifer kept feeling something on her ankle and across her foot which turned out to be the elastic in the socks from the hospital.  So, I took the socks off of her this evening and put lotion on her feet and rubbed them for a little bit.  I think she's working me - LOL.   I really don't mind helping her feel more comfortable and she said that having the socks off and her feet moisturized was a nice change and felt good.

This new adventure just keeps getting better.  For the first time in her life, as far as she knows, Jennifer's received flowers.  Can you imagine...she's never received flowers from anyone ever.  5 vases worth!  They
are beautiful in her window sill.  Every time a new vase arrived, she would beam with excitement.  The smell they produce is intoxicating and makes the room that much more lovely to be in, as best as it can be for a hospital.  And, the little gems are quite thirsty so I add water twice a day to keep them fresh and healthy.

Sometime this afternoon, Jennifer made me beam from ear to ear and laugh out loud.  She was looking for her reading glasses and couldn't find them.  She said she thought they were on the bed tray, but that wasn't the case.  I looked over and they were on the bed right next to her side.  So, I said to her, there they are, right next to you.  And, she replied that she couldn't see them because her breast were in the way.  Her sense of humor is alive and well.  I just love her wit!  It's truly been a blast and an honor to be here with her.  Tomorrow (Thursday), she takes her first walk.  I'm really excited that she'll be up and about, even if only for a few steps.

Jennifer is ready to start receiving short and brief phone calls.  So, on that note, please feel free to call her here at the hospital.  Her direct number is XXX-XXX-XXXX.  RULES:  If for any reason, Jennifer feels tired or otherwise indicates she's ready to hang up, be ready to say good-bye.  Retelling her story can be tiring and you all know what I'm talking about!  Don't ask her too many detailed questions, save those for when you see her next and her strength and energy is 100%.  Tell her a funny story and keep her in stitches (until they dissolve away - haha).

Oh, one more thing.  Jennifer does NOT have a ride set-up for getting home from the airport in Sacramento.  If any of you would like to volunteer to pick her up next week Friday, December 12th, at 11:57 AM, please let me know.  It will be first come first served for getting her.  If more then 3 of you volunteer, then I'll hold a silent auction where I make tons of money - hehehehehehehehe.  Now, keep in mind that she may even be able to get home a day or two earlier then that.  So, for all you would be volunteers, let me know if any of you can pick her up during the day on Wednesday or Thursday should Dr. Bowers let her travel.  Naturally, Jennifer will let you know her exact schedule as it becomes known to her.

Jennifer thanks you all for the e-mails, flowers, thoughts, and prayers from the bottom of her heart, which we know is deep and bottomless for the love she's given to all of us!!!!!  She's looking forward to reconnecting with everyone and misses you all dearly and sends her love.

Bye for now,
Mark

No comments: