Day one of this incredible life altering process is just about over. Jennifer came through it with flying colors. Dr. Bowers said all went well, no complications, everything is great, and in two days (Thursday), Jennifer will be up and about running a marathon. No wait, not a marathon, playing tennis and biking a cool 100 miles up and down the mountains here in Trinidad. OK, no, that's not it either :-), but she will be up and taking her first steps on the next chapter of her incredible journey.
She got to the hospital at 5:00AM this morning to do the last of her pre-surgery prep stuff. After that was over, she opened some gifts that I brought her from her friend Janice. This was great fun and a great way to pass the time as we waited for Dr. Bowers to get here. This seemed to put her in a great zen state of mind. I asked her if she was excited and she replied it was the RIGHT thing to do, in her kind, caring, compassionate and resolute state of mind. It was nice to see her relaxed knowing she had finally reached the end of a long chapter about to start a new one. I must admit, she was focused, and had a sense of peace about her that was nice to share.
She went into surgery a little before 8:00AM and I anxiously awaited. Thankfully, I am working this week from the hospital, so I had things to occupy my mind and fingers so I wouldn't harass the nurses and get myself into trouble. I ducked out at 12:30PM to get lunch and when I got back at 1:30PM, she was literally being wheeled into her room, which is when they would first let me see her post surgery. She was awake, but very groggy. She said few words and just kept her eyes closed for the longest time. I would get a word here or there that let me know she was awake and aware. Flowers showed up just shortly after she came in from her surgery. They were from her coworkers and are quite beautiful and smell lovely. They're in the 3 foot deep window sill where the sign says flowers go and they are in her line of sight. She really looked peaceful today as she slowly came out of anesthesia.
Finally, around 5:00PM, she seemed to "wake up" and get a bit animated and talkative, in a low key sort of way. Slow movement is the way, when she HAS to move. She's been pretty calm. Dinner showed up around the same time. Liquid only for dinner. She wasn't very hungry, so not much was consumed. Mostly, she rests and cat naps and mumbles to me now and then to let me know she's there.
Jennifer woke up at 7:00PM from an hour and a half nap in a little pain. Her timing has been great, because as the medication starts to wear off, the time for more seems to be upon us. The pain medicine takes the edge off of the worst of the pain and makes it quite manageable. She's a real trooper and I'm doing my very best to help her along. . The nurses just gave her the new round of medicine and I'm going to wait till she's comfortable again and head on to the hotel (probably around 8PM). Currently, she's napping again. Besides, visiting hours are over at 8PM and they'll make me leave - they don't know me too well, do they - hehe.
To help her relax and take her mind off of pain, I gave her a foot massage (both feet), brushed her hair, fed her ice chips, got her water with a bendy straw. put cool washcloths on her forehead and pulled the blankets down when she was warm and pulled them back up when she started to feel a chill, and most of all, I gave her little kisses on her forehead and told her they were from her friends that miss her and are thinking of her. I just kept reminding her that she is loved by her friends and family.
Jennifer is at the:
Mt San Rafael Hospital Int Med
410 Benedicta Ave Rm 114
Trinidad, CO 81082
PLEASE NO CALLS YET. As you can imagine, she's not much for talking yet, especially on the phone. And, the good thing is the hospital has free wifi! You can get messages to her in a variety of ways, you pick what works best for you and you're most comfortable with:
- By calling me and I can relay your messages to her
- Sending her an e-mail (I anticipate her being back on-line tomorrow - Wednesday, but no guarantee)
- Send her an e-mail via me and I'll read it to her (just make sure you copy her if you do this one so she'll have her own record of the message)
Well, it's 7:45PM and I have to pack up the computer and get out at 8:00PM, the end of visiting hours.
Regards,
Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment