Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The day has arrived.

Catching up on the day after surgery. Wasn't quite aware enough that day to post...

I had already left the hotel when he got to Trinidad so he hustled over to the hospital.

Most of the check in paperwork had been done, so when I got to the hospital there wasn't much to do except change into the gown and socks and let the nurse take my vitals.

I didn't have any time to really lay out my things or get nervous because about then Mark came bursting into the room with his infectious smile and enthusiasm.

He arrived carrying a large pink gift bag full of fun girly items that Janice so kindly sent. Even though I had most of the month ahead of me to go through them, Mark wanted me to open them right then and there. I agreed that I might as well as I didn't really have anything else I had to do at that time.

Janice sent along toys, hair care, lotions and other cute girly things. Thank You Janice - your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated!

At around 7am a nurse came for me to escort me to the OR prep room. Mark came along and sat and made small talk with me and charmed the staff with his jokes and chatter. We talked about breast feeding of all things and how a mother's body creates antibodies to help build the newborn's immune system. While the chatter was going on, the nurse placed an IV on my left hand.

After last night's cleansing, I was really surprised but made one trip to the restroom in the prep area for one more BM. I was finally empty!

Another Mark, the anesthesiologist, came to chat with me and added something to my IV.

After a few more minutes, they came and asked if I was ready. Silly question!

To my surprise, I walked to the OR where the team was checking there prepartions. One of the members was singing the Oompa Loompa song (from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory). I have no idea why.

In a VERY cold room, I got up on a strange looking OR table that was VERY narrow and had extensions for my head, arms and legs. My arms and legs were being strapped to the table as Marci came in, joked with the staff and gave the go ahead.

Mark told me he was going to give me something to relax me and that is the last I remember until much later in the day....



No comments: